Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Tue August 20, 2013
IL State Fire Marshal Urges Caution As School Starts
The Illinois state fire marshal is urging residents to drive slowly on neighborhood streets as the school year gets underway.
Fire Marshal Larry Matkaitis is backing the national campaign "Keep Kids Alive, Drive 25." It urges speed limits of no more than 25 mph in residential areas. Matkaitis also says running stop signs is a too-frequent violation of the law which endangers not only kids but seniors.
He says parents should ensure children are buckled up with the proper safety seat or child belt in a car and that they always wear a helmet and pads when on bikes, scooters and skateboards. Matkaitis says children should not play in the street, and those under seven must be accompanied outside the home by a parent.