Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon January 20, 2014
IL Session Begins Later This Month
Illinois’ legislative session that begins later this month is expected to be more politically driven than last year's because of the looming election.
Tax questions are expected to dominate the agenda as lawmakers return to Springfield January 28. Upcoming issues include what to do about the pending expiration of the temporary income tax, corporate tax incentives, Chicago pension reform and the possibility of a construction bill that could give a boost to Governor Pat Quinn's re-election bid.
Democrats' veto-proof margins in the House and Senate as well as control of the governor's mansion are on the line.
Republicans aim to convince voters that they'd be better stewards of public funds if put in charge. Democrats will portray Republicans as hurting the most vulnerable Illinoisans with aggressive cuts.