Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Thu May 30, 2013
IL Senators Expected To Discuss Pension Plans
Illinois state senators are poised to take up proposals dealing with Illinois' unprecedented pension debt. Three smaller pension bills are awaiting floor consideration. They deal with retirement age, salary caps and cost-of-living increases. Senate President John Cullerton says his Democratic caucus will discuss the plans and a strategy today.
There are also two major overhauls before lawmakers. One is backed by Cullerton and one by House Speaker Michael Madigan. But both chambers disagree over how to proceed. Another pension issue emerging is whether to make schools pick up their own pension costs. Democratic Rep. Elaine Nekritz is working on legislation that will require state universities and community colleges to pick up pension costs the state currently pays.