Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Mon May 27, 2013
IL Lawmakers Weigh Gay Marriage As Vote Looms
Illinois Gay rights advocates are vowing to call a vote in the state's House this week to make Illinois the 13th state to embrace same-sex marriage. The effort comes as lawmakers have just a few days left in Springfield before their scheduled May 31 adjournment. Proponents had hoped to see Illinois become the first state in the Midwest to make gay marriage law this year.
But they have watched Minnesota and two other states surpass Illinois. The state's Senate endorsed the measure in February. It has remained unclear whether supporters have the 60 votes needed to pass the bill in the House. Lobbying in the meantime has taken a fierce tone with advocates spreading letters from supportive business executives and opponents speaking out from the pulpit.