Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon May 27, 2013
IL Lawmakers Weigh Gay Marriage As Vote Looms
Illinois Gay rights advocates are vowing to call a vote in the state's House this week to make Illinois the 13th state to embrace same-sex marriage. The effort comes as lawmakers have just a few days left in Springfield before their scheduled May 31 adjournment. Proponents had hoped to see Illinois become the first state in the Midwest to make gay marriage law this year.
But they have watched Minnesota and two other states surpass Illinois. The state's Senate endorsed the measure in February. It has remained unclear whether supporters have the 60 votes needed to pass the bill in the House. Lobbying in the meantime has taken a fierce tone with advocates spreading letters from supportive business executives and opponents speaking out from the pulpit.