Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Wed October 9, 2013
IL Lawmakers Want Quinn's Appeal Rejected
Illinois' top Democratic legislative leaders are asking the Illinois Supreme Court to reject Governor Pat Quinn's appeal of a lawsuit over legislative pay.
Quinn halted lawmakers' pay in July until pension reform was achieved. A Cook County Circuit Court judge ruled last month that the move was unconstitutional and ordered lawmakers to be sent back pay, with interest. An appeal is being reviewed by the state Supreme Court.
Illinois' unfunded pension liability is close to $100 billion dollars, due largely to lawmakers shorting or skipping payments.
A committee of lawmakers has been working on one possible reform package that could save $138 billion over 30 years.