Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
Thu August 29, 2013
IL House GOP To Consider New Leader Today
Illinois House Republicans will consider electing a new leader today. The meeting at Springfield's Statehouse Inn follows House Republican Leader Tom Cross' announcement that he would be stepping down from his post to run for treasurer. State Reps. Jim Durkin of Western Springs and Raymond Poe of Springfield are both seeking the job.
Both men say the caucus needs to do a better job of picking up seats. According to House caucus rules, a majority of 24 Republican members' are needed to elect a new leader and it's possible that enough members may not be present to call a quorum or produce enough votes for a majority.