Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Tue February 5, 2013
IL House to Consider Road Funds, Child-Welfare Money
An Illinois House committee has approved additional funding for state programs in a plan that takes advantage of new money for road building and shifts the savings from a closed prison to child-welfare services. The Executive Committee voted Monday to send the measure to the House floor. Transportation advocates want quick action on a $675 million addition to transit-construction plans so that more concrete can be laid this spring.
The state is getting more federal money than anticipated and favorable conditions such as higher tax revenues mean more state funding as well. Gov. Pat Quinn's closing of correctional facilities means $25 million is being shifted to the Department of Children and Family Services.