Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Tue February 5, 2013
IL House to Consider Road Funds, Child-Welfare Money
An Illinois House committee has approved additional funding for state programs in a plan that takes advantage of new money for road building and shifts the savings from a closed prison to child-welfare services. The Executive Committee voted Monday to send the measure to the House floor. Transportation advocates want quick action on a $675 million addition to transit-construction plans so that more concrete can be laid this spring.
The state is getting more federal money than anticipated and favorable conditions such as higher tax revenues mean more state funding as well. Gov. Pat Quinn's closing of correctional facilities means $25 million is being shifted to the Department of Children and Family Services.