Most Active Stories
- Winter Storm: KYEM Upgrades Emergency Activation Level, Travel Discouraged
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Thu July 4, 2013
IL Halts Roadwork To Speed July 4th Traffic
Illinois has suspended non-emergency roadwork to help keep traffic moving over the July 4th holiday weekend, the most heavily traveled summer holiday. The Illinois Department of Transportation says the halt to construction began yesterday afternoon and will continue through Sunday.
Thousands of motorists are expected to travel on state roadways during the holiday period. Transportation Secretary Ann Schneider says the construction freeze will also improve safety. Motorists planning their trips will be able to see a list of construction-related lane closures on the department's website. It is also reminding drivers that work zone speed limits remain in effect even when workers are not present.