Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Mon November 4, 2013
IL Clergy Send Letter Urging Marriage Equality
A coalition of clergy members and faith leaders has sent a letter to Illinois House members encouraging them to support gay marriage.
The letter has more than 300 signatures. It says allowing same-sex couples to marry is "morally just."
The Illinois General Assembly returns to Springfield this week and supporters of gay marriage hope the House will take up the bill, which passed in the Illinois Senate on Valentine's Day.
A coalition of black ministers has strongly opposed gay marriage, including robocalls asking people to urge their lawmakers to vote against it. A lawsuit challenging Illinois' ban on gay marriage is pending in state court.