Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Mon November 4, 2013
IL Clergy Send Letter Urging Marriage Equality
A coalition of clergy members and faith leaders has sent a letter to Illinois House members encouraging them to support gay marriage.
The letter has more than 300 signatures. It says allowing same-sex couples to marry is "morally just."
The Illinois General Assembly returns to Springfield this week and supporters of gay marriage hope the House will take up the bill, which passed in the Illinois Senate on Valentine's Day.
A coalition of black ministers has strongly opposed gay marriage, including robocalls asking people to urge their lawmakers to vote against it. A lawsuit challenging Illinois' ban on gay marriage is pending in state court.