Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Fri September 27, 2013
IL AFL-CIO Votes To Support Gay Marriage
The executive board of the Illinois chapter of the AFL-CIO is supporting gay marriage. The board voted yesterday in Chicago to urge the Illinois House to adopt the "Religious Freedom and Marriage Fairness Act."
The adopted resolution states the AFL-CIO joins faith communities, civil rights organizations, President Barack Obama and its own unions in supporting "marriage equality legislation that effectively protects religious freedom."
The legislation got Senate approval in February but never got called for a vote in the House before the Legislature adjourned in May.