Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri September 27, 2013
IL AFL-CIO Votes To Support Gay Marriage
The executive board of the Illinois chapter of the AFL-CIO is supporting gay marriage. The board voted yesterday in Chicago to urge the Illinois House to adopt the "Religious Freedom and Marriage Fairness Act."
The adopted resolution states the AFL-CIO joins faith communities, civil rights organizations, President Barack Obama and its own unions in supporting "marriage equality legislation that effectively protects religious freedom."
The legislation got Senate approval in February but never got called for a vote in the House before the Legislature adjourned in May.