Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- Bad Luck: Murray Business Loses Office After Collapse, Then Fire Threatens New Office
Mon January 20, 2014
Hundreds Gather at Phil Everly Memorial
About 200 people listened to songs and tributes at a memorial service in Powderly this past weekend for Phil Everly, who passed away January 3rd at the age of 74. With his brother, Don, the duo had 19 Top 40 hits between 1957 and 1962. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986 and are members of the Country Music Hall of Fame.
The memorial service was held at the Merle Travis Music Center near Central City, where the pair entertained for years at a homecoming benefit. The concerts ran from 1988 to 2001, helping raise funds for scholarships and other projects.