Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri August 16, 2013
House Leaders To Unveil Redistricting Plan Friday
Kentucky House Democrats are scheduled to release a legislative redistricting plan today, one day after Senate Republicans unveiled their proposal. Democratic House Speaker Greg Stumbo called a press conference at the Capitol to discuss the proposal, which is expected to be voted on in special session that begins on Monday.
Redistricting is undertaken every 10 years to account for population changes recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau. Kentucky had major population shifts between 2000 and 2010, requiring reconfiguration of legislative districts in both the House and Senate.
The Kentucky high court struck down lawmakers' initial redistricting plan last year, finding that the proposed districts weren't balanced by population and didn't comply with the federal and state "one person, one vote" mandate.