Most Active Stories
- Owensboro Airport Expanding
- Paducah’s Mail Processing Facility Set to Close, Could Lead to Longer Delivery Times
- Kentucky Lawmakers Attack Climate Change Science In Discussion on Carbon Regulations
- Lawmakers Skewer EPA, Obama Over Coal Regulations
- Conway: Americans for Prosperity Plan to 'Buy' Ky. House
Fri October 19, 2012
Hopkinsville Smoking Ban Takes Effect in January
Hopkinsville begins a citywide smoking ban in January. The Kentucky New Era reports Mayor Dan Kemp broke a 6-6 tie on the city council at last night’s meeting. The council passed the measure despite vocal opposition that sought to quash it.
Councilwoman Ann Cherry says enforcing the ban could put a burden on business owners who are responsible for ensuring patrons put out their tobacco products. Kemp says mayors in other cities with smoking ordinances told him enforcement has never been an issue. The ordinance is similar to bans passed in Owensboro, Bowling Green, Madisonville, Henderson, Oak Grove and Paducah.