Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Mon October 1, 2012
Hopkinsville Men Found Guilty of Murder
Two men with alleged ties to a Clarksville, Tennessee gang are facing five decades in prison after a Hopkinsville, Kentucky jury found them guilty of the 2008 murder of Shyarra Olavarria. Her remains were found in a remote area of Christian County in May of that year.
The Kentucky New Era reports jurors late last week recommended 50 year sentences for Derrick James and Jordan Young. Christian County Circuit Judge John Atkins scheduled James and Young’s sentencing hearing for January. Commonwealth Attorney Lynn Pryor told jurors the two men are part of a street gang in Clarksville. Another gang member, Kenneth Hudson, pled guilty and led authorities to Olavarria’s remains.