Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Wed January 21, 2009
Hopkins County Court holds first reading
By Carrie Pond
Madisonville, KY – The Hopkins County Fiscal Court held the first reading of a county-wide smoking ban at its meeting yesterday afternoon. The court's draft follows months of controversy regarding a ban created by the Hopkins County Health Department. Several business owners and Hopkins County Attorney Todd P'Pool objected to the health board's ban, saying the ban shouldn't be created by a group of non-elected officials. The court's proposed ban differs from the board of health's recently enacted ban in several areas, allowing smoking at private clubs, in designated hotel and motel rooms, and in areas with separate ventilation systems for persons over 21. The ban's second and final reading will be February 3rd.