Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed January 21, 2009
Hopkins County Court holds first reading
By Carrie Pond
Madisonville, KY – The Hopkins County Fiscal Court held the first reading of a county-wide smoking ban at its meeting yesterday afternoon. The court's draft follows months of controversy regarding a ban created by the Hopkins County Health Department. Several business owners and Hopkins County Attorney Todd P'Pool objected to the health board's ban, saying the ban shouldn't be created by a group of non-elected officials. The court's proposed ban differs from the board of health's recently enacted ban in several areas, allowing smoking at private clubs, in designated hotel and motel rooms, and in areas with separate ventilation systems for persons over 21. The ban's second and final reading will be February 3rd.