Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Thu November 1, 2012
Honeywell Sets Potential June Plant Restart Date
Honeywell officials say they could restart production at the Metropolis, Illinois nuclear fuel refinery next June. The plant shut down in July this year after a Nuclear Regulatory Commission inspection found a need for safety upgrades. The move laid off 212 union workers. Honeywell spokesman John McCarthy says a staff of a little over a hundred remains at the facility. Plant officials hope to begin recalling workers for retraining and certification in April.
McCarthy says the timing and number of recalls depends on the pace of the upgrades and nuclear market demand. The upgrades are needed to ensure the facility can withstand strong earthquakes and tornadoes. The NRC tightened disaster planning regulations following the Fukushima-Daiichi disaster last year in Japan.