Most Active Stories
- Snowfall Predictions Grow; Icing Expected in Southern Western Kentucky Overnight
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Preserving Our Voices 2013
Thu July 12, 2012
Honeywell Plant Will Not Resume Production Pending Upgrades
The Honeywell nuclear facility in Metropolis will not restart production until they reach an agreement on facility upgrades with the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
The plant stopped work for summer maintenance in May, laying off about half of its workforce in the process. The NRC inspection was part of an assessment conducted on all US nuclear facilities; upgrades are focused on disaster preparedness for the facility. Upgrades to the Metropolis plant could take 12 to 15 months. The full-time workforce of 332 employees would be reduced by about 50 percent during this time period.