Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Wed November 3, 2010
High Turnout for KY Midterms
By Charles Compton
Murray, KY – Almost half of Kentucky's qualified voters cast ballots during yesterday's election. Political scientist Joe Gershtenson says that's quite high for a mid-term election. Gershtenson, who teaches at Eastern Kentucky University, says those relatively high numbers were driven by discontent.
"A lot of this is really, kind of, discontent with the current state of the country, particularly with the economy, and, driving a lot folks to get out there to the polls."
Gershtenson adds voter discontent with the President and the economy was behind the US Senate win of Republican Rand Paul. The political scientist says Democrats in local races paid the price.