Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed March 28, 2012
Henry County School Bus Held Hostage
The man who held a bus full of Henry County students hostage with a bomb threat this morning is undergoing a mental evaluation. Henry County Sheriff Monte Belew says 26 year old Steven Decker boarded the bus during a stop on Guthrie Road. He told the bus driver he had a gun and a bomb and demanded $25 thousand in cash. Belew says the bus driver called 9-1-1 during the incident. He says,
“Just a few minutes later deputies from the Henry County Sheriff’s Office arrived on the scene, and took the suspect into custody without incident. There were 19 kids on the bus and no-one was harmed whatsoever.”
Sheriff Belew says Decker did not actually have a bomb or any other weapon on him at the time. He says Decker is charged with 8 counts of aggravated kidnapping and 12 counts of especially aggravated kidnapping and is being held at the Henry County Jail on a $250 thousand bond.