Most Active Stories
- Archaeological Dig Yields Artifacts Near New Lake Barkley Bridge
- Henderson Co Schools Cutting 80 Positions Next Year
- McConnell and Paul Introduce Tax Bill for Bourbon Producers
- CHART: Kentucky Tourism Spending on the Rise
- Most of Kentucky's GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Vow to Pull the Plug on Kynect
Thu January 3, 2013
Heath High Shooter Loses Appeal of Guilty Plea
Heath High School shooter Michael Carneal has lost his bid to withdraw a guilty plea after an appeals court ruled he should have sought a new trial sooner. The U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati ruled today that Carneal was declared competent as early as 2004 and could have challenged the plea then.
In 1997 Carneal killed three of his classmates and wounded five others at a prayer meeting outside the Paducah school. Carneal is serving a life sentence and is eligible for parole in 2023.