Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Fri October 4, 2013
Haslam Pledges To Increase TN Teacher Salaries
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam has pledged to improve teacher salaries over the next several years. Haslam said at a news conference yesterday that by the time he leaves office he wants teacher salaries to have grown more than in any other state.
The Republican governor is up for re-election for a second four-year term next year. Education Commissioner Kevin Huffman joined Haslam and said the administration will review national state-by-state salary data to see that Tennessee's are just as competitive.
According to the latest data from the National Education Association, the average national salary for classroom teachers is $56,000, compared with $48,000 in Tennessee.