Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
2013 TN General Assembly
Fri March 1, 2013
Haslam Likely to Sign 'Guns in Trunks' Bill
A spokesman says Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam is "likely" to sign into law a bill to allow the state's nearly 400,000 handgun carry permit holders to store firearms in their cars no matter where they are parked. The House on passed the bill sponsored by Republican Rep. Jeremy Faison on a 72 - 22 vote Thursday.
Before the vote, Speaker Beth Harwell assured Republican colleagues that the measure is endorsed by the National Rifle Association and that members of the business community are "holding their noses" about its passage despite concerns about security and property rights.
The Senate approved its version of the bill in early February. Haslam had previously raised concerns about the proposal because of property rights questions and greater access to guns on campus.
2012 Tennessee General Assembly