Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
2013 TN General Assembly
Fri March 1, 2013
Haslam Likely to Sign 'Guns in Trunks' Bill
A spokesman says Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam is "likely" to sign into law a bill to allow the state's nearly 400,000 handgun carry permit holders to store firearms in their cars no matter where they are parked. The House on passed the bill sponsored by Republican Rep. Jeremy Faison on a 72 - 22 vote Thursday.
Before the vote, Speaker Beth Harwell assured Republican colleagues that the measure is endorsed by the National Rifle Association and that members of the business community are "holding their noses" about its passage despite concerns about security and property rights.
The Senate approved its version of the bill in early February. Haslam had previously raised concerns about the proposal because of property rights questions and greater access to guns on campus.
2012 Tennessee General Assembly