Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon February 3, 2014
Haslam To Give 4th State of The State Tonight
Republican Governor Bill Haslam is giving his fourth State of the State address tonight. The governor will unveil details of his annual state spending proposal and lay out some of his top legislative priorities for the year.
Haslam has warned that flagging state revenues combined with growing health care costs will put the squeeze on other programs the state would like to spend money on.
State lawmakers expect the governor to emphasize his goal of improving Tennessee's graduate rates from colleges and universities from the current 32% to 55% by 2025.
Other items on the governor's agenda include creating prescription requirements to purchase large amounts of cold medications used to make illegal methamphetamine.