Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Mon February 3, 2014
Haslam To Give 4th State of The State Tonight
Republican Governor Bill Haslam is giving his fourth State of the State address tonight. The governor will unveil details of his annual state spending proposal and lay out some of his top legislative priorities for the year.
Haslam has warned that flagging state revenues combined with growing health care costs will put the squeeze on other programs the state would like to spend money on.
State lawmakers expect the governor to emphasize his goal of improving Tennessee's graduate rates from colleges and universities from the current 32% to 55% by 2025.
Other items on the governor's agenda include creating prescription requirements to purchase large amounts of cold medications used to make illegal methamphetamine.