Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Hopkinsville HS Students Allege Discrimination Over LGBT Related Yearbook Quote
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
Mon February 3, 2014
Haslam To Give 4th State of The State Tonight
Republican Governor Bill Haslam is giving his fourth State of the State address tonight. The governor will unveil details of his annual state spending proposal and lay out some of his top legislative priorities for the year.
Haslam has warned that flagging state revenues combined with growing health care costs will put the squeeze on other programs the state would like to spend money on.
State lawmakers expect the governor to emphasize his goal of improving Tennessee's graduate rates from colleges and universities from the current 32% to 55% by 2025.
Other items on the governor's agenda include creating prescription requirements to purchase large amounts of cold medications used to make illegal methamphetamine.