Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Thu October 4, 2012
Haslam: Child Deaths Not Mishandled
Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam says no immediate evidence of wrongdoing by the Department of Children’s Services has been found in the deaths of 31 children. He calls the deaths, which included ten infants with open case files, distressing. Haslam reviewed the reports and says the D-C-S took appropriate action in the cases.
The agency’s lawyer says the department has been violating a state law requiring it to report the deaths of children under investigation to lawmakers. The Department of Children’s Services released the number of child deaths last week after repeated requests from State Representative Sherry Jones.