Most Active Stories
- What Kentucky Teachers Think Of Their Schools, Education Department Releases Survey Results
- MSU's Presidential Search Committee Plans to Use National Search Firm
- MSU Board of Regents Approves Dr. Tim Miller as Interim President
- Kentucky to Raise Gas Tax in July
- Survey Finds McConnell Leading Over Democratic Challengers
Thu October 4, 2012
Haslam: Child Deaths Not Mishandled
Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam says no immediate evidence of wrongdoing by the Department of Children’s Services has been found in the deaths of 31 children. He calls the deaths, which included ten infants with open case files, distressing. Haslam reviewed the reports and says the D-C-S took appropriate action in the cases.
The agency’s lawyer says the department has been violating a state law requiring it to report the deaths of children under investigation to lawmakers. The Department of Children’s Services released the number of child deaths last week after repeated requests from State Representative Sherry Jones.