Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Mon December 31, 2012
Harwell Wants to Cap Filed Bills
Tennessee House Speaker Beth Harwell’s announcement that she wants to impose a cap on how many bills are filed each year has lobbyists scrambling. Under Harwell’s proposal each lawmaker would be limited to 10 bills each session. That’s an average of about two bills a piece for the more than 500 lobbyists registered at the state Capitol.
Tennessee Lobbyists Association’s Mark Greene says his colleagues quickly moved to lock up lawmakers with a reputation for successfully shepherding bills through the legislative process. Harwell's proposal would have to be approved by a special committee she will appoint when the session begins.