Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Mon October 12, 2009
Gunshot Wounds 10-Year-Old
By Todd Hatton
Paducah, KY – A 10-year-old boy was hospitalized in serious condition after a shooting Saturday morning in western McCracken County. Kyler Mathis and two other children had been target shooting with a .22 caliber rifle in the backyard of Mathis' grandmother's house when the rifle apparently discharged accidentally.
The Paducah Sun reports Mathis was struck in the forehead. He was treated by the West McCracken Fire Department and ambulance workers and taken to Western Baptist Hospital. McCracken County Sheriff Jon Hayden says the shooting appears accidental. The investigation is ongoing.