Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed January 29, 2014
Guns-In-Parks Bill Headed To TN Senate
A Tennessee proposal that seeks to do away with local government's power to decide whether to allow firearms in public parks is headed for a full Senate vote.
The measure sponsored by Republican Senator Stacey Campfield of Knoxville passed the Senate Judiciary Committee 6-2 on yesterday.
The Legislature in 2009 gave city and county governments the ability to opt out of a new law that allowed firearms in public parks, playgrounds and sports fields.
Under Campfield's proposal, permit holders would be allowed to carry, unless there's a school function. Governor Bill Haslam has said he's opposed to the legislation.