Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Press Releases & Events
Fri May 6, 2011
Governor's Derby Breakfast Ceases
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – In this economy, Kentucky can no longer afford to feed 15,000 people free country ham, eggs and grits at the annual Governor's Derby Breakfast. Usually held on the State Capitol grounds, the event is moving to downtown Frankfort. On Derby Day 1936, Kentucky Governor Happy Chandler invited a few friends over to the governor's mansion for breakfast. By the 1990s, thousands of people were annually showing up at the State Capitol. Bob Stewart is coordinating this year's event.
"In today's day and age with the fiscal realities that we have, I just don't think taxpayers in Kentucky can, or should, sustain that kind of expense anymore - as wonderful as it was in days past when we were a little more flush."
The event is being called the 75th Governor's Derby Celebration, and Governor and Mrs. Beshear will drop by before heading to Louisville for the 137th Run for the Roses.