Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Thu April 23, 2009
GM Summer Shutdown
By Lisa Autry
Bowling Green, KY – Western Kentucky General Motors employees will feel the pinch this summer as the company plans to temporarily close 13 assembly plants in the U.S. and Mexico. GM officials say the closures are an effort to control growing inventory due to slumping sales. GM North America President Troy Clarke addressed the media this afternoon in a conference call.
"Our goal is to reduce inventory levels from the 767,000 units that we have in the field today to approximately 525,000 by the end of July."
At the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, workers will be off the job for a total of three weeks in July.