Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Tue October 22, 2013
Furloughed Illinois Workers Must Repay Unemployment
Illinois officials say federal employees in the state who were furloughed during the government shutdown have to repay unemployment insurance benefits.
Illinois Department of Employment Security says preliminary data shows of the almost 3,000 workers who applied for unemployment insurance 577 were paid benefits that total more than $231,000. The department says it’s sending those employees notices that the money must be repaid. If it isn’t, department officials can take steps to recover the money like garnishing tax refunds.
IDES Director Jay Rowell says the partial shutdown “needlessly scared” scores of workers.