Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Wed November 19, 2008
Ft. Campbell Unit Heads to Afghanistan
By Carrie Pond
Ft. Campbell, KY – As several thousand soldiers return home, one Fort Campbell unit is on its way to Afghanistan. The 159th Combat Aviation Brigade, also known as "Thunder Brigade," cased its colors during a ceremony Tuesday, signaling the beginning of a 12-month deployment to Afghanistan. Commander Col. Ron Lewis says the brigade is responsible for moving soldiers by air and avoiding improvised explosive devices. Other responsibilities include performing attack missions and supporting soldiers on the ground. The brigade includes about 3 thousand troops and will leave over the next two weeks. Their last deployment was to Iraq in 2006.