Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Wed November 19, 2008
Ft. Campbell Unit Heads to Afghanistan
By Carrie Pond
Ft. Campbell, KY – As several thousand soldiers return home, one Fort Campbell unit is on its way to Afghanistan. The 159th Combat Aviation Brigade, also known as "Thunder Brigade," cased its colors during a ceremony Tuesday, signaling the beginning of a 12-month deployment to Afghanistan. Commander Col. Ron Lewis says the brigade is responsible for moving soldiers by air and avoiding improvised explosive devices. Other responsibilities include performing attack missions and supporting soldiers on the ground. The brigade includes about 3 thousand troops and will leave over the next two weeks. Their last deployment was to Iraq in 2006.