Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue January 5, 2010
By Daniel Modlin/ Paco Long-Mendez
Frankfort, KY – As the cold temperatures continue, officials with the Kentucky Division of Water are warning about safety hazards associated with frozen water pipes in homes. Public Information Officer Allison Fleck says it's extremely important not to use a blow torch or
charcoal heater to try to thaw pipes that have already frozen.
"Call a licensed plumber if you have any concerns about your capability
of doing this safely....or if you are just simply unable to solve the pipes.
Then they can get their professional equipment into the right places."
Fleck stresses that electric heating devices can also be dangerous if they are used in damp areas.