Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Thu September 26, 2013
Fort Campbell Units Return To Afghanistan
Two combat brigades based at Fort Campbell are returning to the war in Afghanistan. The Pentagon announced yesterday 4,800 soldiers with the 101st Airborne Division will rotate back into the conflict.
They are scheduled to deploy over this winter. The 2nd Brigade Combat Team is sending 3,000 soldiers, a majority of that brigade.
The 159th Combat Aviation Brigade will be fully deployed, sending 1,800 helicopter pilots, crew chiefs and other personnel to Afghanistan.
Units from Forts Carson, Bliss and Drum will also be sending troops to the rotation, making the total number of deployed personnel around 9,000. Currently more soldiers are coming home from deployments than heading off to war.