Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Thu September 26, 2013
Fort Campbell Units Return To Afghanistan
Two combat brigades based at Fort Campbell are returning to the war in Afghanistan. The Pentagon announced yesterday 4,800 soldiers with the 101st Airborne Division will rotate back into the conflict.
They are scheduled to deploy over this winter. The 2nd Brigade Combat Team is sending 3,000 soldiers, a majority of that brigade.
The 159th Combat Aviation Brigade will be fully deployed, sending 1,800 helicopter pilots, crew chiefs and other personnel to Afghanistan.
Units from Forts Carson, Bliss and Drum will also be sending troops to the rotation, making the total number of deployed personnel around 9,000. Currently more soldiers are coming home from deployments than heading off to war.