Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Thu September 26, 2013
Fort Campbell Units Return To Afghanistan
Two combat brigades based at Fort Campbell are returning to the war in Afghanistan. The Pentagon announced yesterday 4,800 soldiers with the 101st Airborne Division will rotate back into the conflict.
They are scheduled to deploy over this winter. The 2nd Brigade Combat Team is sending 3,000 soldiers, a majority of that brigade.
The 159th Combat Aviation Brigade will be fully deployed, sending 1,800 helicopter pilots, crew chiefs and other personnel to Afghanistan.
Units from Forts Carson, Bliss and Drum will also be sending troops to the rotation, making the total number of deployed personnel around 9,000. Currently more soldiers are coming home from deployments than heading off to war.