Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue September 8, 2009
Fort Campbell Suicides Down
By Chris Taylor
Fort Campbell, KY – Suicides at Fort Campbell are down, as officials say they are getting better at noticing the warning signs that a soldier is troubled. The military installation was put on stand down' in early June, following about ten suicides in the first few months of the year. Fort Campbell had the highest suicide rate of any installation prior to the stand down. Since then, there have been two unconfirmed suicides in July, but there are signs of progress. Suicide prevention manager Joe Varney says that although there is no proof the stand down has reduced the number of attempts, the incorporation of off-post resources and staff has helped.