Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Wed May 27, 2009
Fort Campbell Suicide Rates
By Carrie Pond
Ft. Campbell, KY – A Fort Campbell commander says the installation has the highest number of suicides among soldiers in the Army. The post began a 3-day stand down today to refocus efforts on suicide prevention in the wake of 11 confirmed suicides this year. More deaths are being investigated. Brigadier General Stephen Townsend says from January to March, the installation was averaging one suicide per week. The post took part in an Army-wide prevention campaign in March, but commanders at Fort Campbell felt additional training was needed.