Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Wed May 27, 2009
Fort Campbell Suicide Rates
By Carrie Pond
Ft. Campbell, KY – A Fort Campbell commander says the installation has the highest number of suicides among soldiers in the Army. The post began a 3-day stand down today to refocus efforts on suicide prevention in the wake of 11 confirmed suicides this year. More deaths are being investigated. Brigadier General Stephen Townsend says from January to March, the installation was averaging one suicide per week. The post took part in an Army-wide prevention campaign in March, but commanders at Fort Campbell felt additional training was needed.