Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Fri July 26, 2013
Former Paducah Sun-Democrat Executive Editor Dies
The first executive editor at The Paducah Sun-Democrat, which later became The Paducah Sun, has died. Preston Kennedy was 90.
The Paducah Sun reports Kennedy died early Thursday at St. Joseph Jessamine Care Center in Nicholasville. The Hager and Cundiff Funeral Home says arrangements are still pending.
Kennedy covered the City Hall beat after being now deceased editor E.J. Paxton Sr. hired him in 1946. Kennedy held several key positions, including city editor and managing editor, before being named the first executive editor in 1979. He retired five years later.
Friends and colleagues say Kennedy thrived in journalism because he held true to its basic tenets: accuracy, objectivity and entertaining readers.