Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Fri July 26, 2013
Former Paducah Sun-Democrat Executive Editor Dies
The first executive editor at The Paducah Sun-Democrat, which later became The Paducah Sun, has died. Preston Kennedy was 90.
The Paducah Sun reports Kennedy died early Thursday at St. Joseph Jessamine Care Center in Nicholasville. The Hager and Cundiff Funeral Home says arrangements are still pending.
Kennedy covered the City Hall beat after being now deceased editor E.J. Paxton Sr. hired him in 1946. Kennedy held several key positions, including city editor and managing editor, before being named the first executive editor in 1979. He retired five years later.
Friends and colleagues say Kennedy thrived in journalism because he held true to its basic tenets: accuracy, objectivity and entertaining readers.