Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Tue April 16, 2013
Former Illinois Transportation Secretary Fires at 'Anonymous Allegations' in Report
The former assistant secretary at the Illinois Department of Transportation says a report on improper hiring at the agency mischaracterizes what he told investigators.
Former congressman David Phelps disputed a report the Office of Executive Inspector General released Monday. The report says Phelps did "little work" and mostly engaged in "misconduct and abuse." Phelps says he told investigators he answered requests for information from job-seekers but did nothing improper.
Witnesses whose names are redacted in the report say Phelps told IDOT interviewers what candidates he favored. The report recommends discharging Phelps. He retired shortly after that in February 2011 but says retirement was in the works long before the report. Phelps says he had no chance to rebut the allegations.