Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Thu July 12, 2012
Former College Friend Testifies in Walker MSU Dorm Fire Trial
Jerry Wayne Walker Jr.’s college friend testified in Walker’s trial yesterday in Marshall County. Walker faces charges stemming from the 1998 Murray State University Hester Hall dorm fire that killed student Michael Minger.
The West Kentucky Star reports Matt McBride testified he left school the semester after the fire when he received a letter with no return address saying the fire was set outside his door, and was not supposed to hurt anyone. that incident and others. Former rugby team member Jeremy Baker also testified yesterday. He says while he did made prank calls to the dorm that night; he was not involved in starting the fire. Walker is charged with first-degree arson, second-degree manslaughter, first-degree assault and 14 counts of wanton endangerment. His first trial on other charges associated with the incident ended in a hung jury in 2001.