Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue February 10, 2009
Feds to Reimburse State for National Guard Deployment
By Carrie Pond
Paducah, KY – U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano announced the federal government will reimburse the state for 75 percent of the costs associated with deploying the National Guard after the recent ice storm in Kentucky. During a Paducah visit today Secretary Napolitano said the costs are typically paid for by the state, but the severity of the ice storms has motivated the government to step in. This announcement comes on the heels of President Barack Obama's major disaster declaration, through which Kentucky counties impacted by the snow and ice are eligible for 75 percent reimbursements for storm-related costs.