Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Thu January 9, 2014
Farmer's Attorney Seeks 21 Months in Prison
The attorney for former Kentucky Agriculture Commissioner Richie Farmer is seeking a shorter prison sentence for the ex-University of Kentucky basketball star saying any time in prison beyond 21 months serves no purpose.
In a sentencing memorandum filed Thursday, J. Guthrie True says the 27 months prosecutors are seeking is excessive and will only hurt Farmer's three sons.
Farmer pleaded guilty in September to two counts of misappropriating government resources while overseeing the Agriculture Department.
Farmer is scheduled for formal sentencing next Tuesday.