Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
Tue October 1, 2013
Fall Wildfire Season Starts In Kentucky
The fall wildfire hazard season has started in Kentucky. The season runs from October 1 through December 15. During that time, outdoor burning is prohibited from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. within 150 feet of any woodland or brushland.
State Forestry Division Director Leah MacSwords says that with the last several weeks of dry weather, conditions are favorable for the spread of wildfires.
So far this year, the Division of Forestry has responded to 739 wildfires that have burned more than 17,000 acres of forests in Kentucky. The agency says human activity has caused nearly all of the wildfires, and that most of them were preventable.