Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Wed July 3, 2013
Excavations Begin for New McLean County Mine
Excavation work is underway at a new coal mine in McClean county that could create upwards of 250 jobs.
Lexington-based Rhino Resources Partners is digging the mine near Beech Grove by the Green River.
Company officials hope to begin mining within the year. The mine is expected to produce about eight-hundred-thousand tons of coal in its first year of operations in 2015, but estimates put the deposit at two-million tons per year in the future.
Based on those numbers, Rhino would pay out more than a million dollars in a coal severance tax to the state annually.