Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Wed July 3, 2013
Excavations Begin for New McLean County Mine
Excavation work is underway at a new coal mine in McClean county that could create upwards of 250 jobs.
Lexington-based Rhino Resources Partners is digging the mine near Beech Grove by the Green River.
Company officials hope to begin mining within the year. The mine is expected to produce about eight-hundred-thousand tons of coal in its first year of operations in 2015, but estimates put the deposit at two-million tons per year in the future.
Based on those numbers, Rhino would pay out more than a million dollars in a coal severance tax to the state annually.