Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Wed July 3, 2013
Excavations Begin for New McLean County Mine
Excavation work is underway at a new coal mine in McClean county that could create upwards of 250 jobs.
Lexington-based Rhino Resources Partners is digging the mine near Beech Grove by the Green River.
Company officials hope to begin mining within the year. The mine is expected to produce about eight-hundred-thousand tons of coal in its first year of operations in 2015, but estimates put the deposit at two-million tons per year in the future.
Based on those numbers, Rhino would pay out more than a million dollars in a coal severance tax to the state annually.