Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed July 3, 2013
Excavations Begin for New McLean County Mine
Excavation work is underway at a new coal mine in McClean county that could create upwards of 250 jobs.
Lexington-based Rhino Resources Partners is digging the mine near Beech Grove by the Green River.
Company officials hope to begin mining within the year. The mine is expected to produce about eight-hundred-thousand tons of coal in its first year of operations in 2015, but estimates put the deposit at two-million tons per year in the future.
Based on those numbers, Rhino would pay out more than a million dollars in a coal severance tax to the state annually.