Most Active Stories
- Owensboro Airport Expanding
- Paducah’s Mail Processing Facility Set to Close, Could Lead to Longer Delivery Times
- Kentucky Lawmakers Attack Climate Change Science In Discussion on Carbon Regulations
- Lawmakers Skewer EPA, Obama Over Coal Regulations
- Conway: Americans for Prosperity Plan to 'Buy' Ky. House
Fri April 12, 2013
Eggners Ferry bridge closed after tow collision
Update: The bridge has reopened to traffic.
The US 68/KY 80 Eggners Ferry Bridge over Kentucky Lake is CLOSED to traffic after a tow boat pushing several empty barges hit one of the bridge piers. The U.S. Coast Guard reports the Motor Vessel Evey T was headed downstream when a wind gust blew the tow into the right pier on the main channel just after three this afternoon.
Authorities are on the scene as a precaution and a KYDOT bridge inspector is en route to run a safety check on the bridge structure. The inspection will likely mean the bridge will remain closed to traffic until about 6 tonight.