Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Thu May 1, 2014
Dunn Begins Tenure as SIU President
Originally published on Mon May 5, 2014 7:50 am
Southern Illinois University President Randy Dunn greeted students, faculty, and staff during visits to Edwardsville and Carbondale Thursday.
It was Dunn's first official day on the job, after being selected in February to succeed retiring President Glenn Poshard. Poshard's last day was April 30.
Dunn says he's excited to come back to a place he calls home, and is looking forward to working with the academic communities both in Carbondale and Edwardsville.
Dunn acknowledges the struggles facing higher education, and says the budget stresses will likely continue. But he promises shared governance and communication to help guide the SIU system through difficult times, and expects brighter days ahead.
Dunn comes to SIU after a brief stint as President of Youngstown State University in Ohio. He previously served as President of Murray State University, Illinois Schools Superintendent, and as a Professor and Chair in SIU Carbondale's College of Education and Human Services.