Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Thu May 1, 2014
Dunn Begins Tenure as SIU President
Originally published on Mon May 5, 2014 7:50 am
Southern Illinois University President Randy Dunn greeted students, faculty, and staff during visits to Edwardsville and Carbondale Thursday.
It was Dunn's first official day on the job, after being selected in February to succeed retiring President Glenn Poshard. Poshard's last day was April 30.
Dunn says he's excited to come back to a place he calls home, and is looking forward to working with the academic communities both in Carbondale and Edwardsville.
Dunn acknowledges the struggles facing higher education, and says the budget stresses will likely continue. But he promises shared governance and communication to help guide the SIU system through difficult times, and expects brighter days ahead.
Dunn comes to SIU after a brief stint as President of Youngstown State University in Ohio. He previously served as President of Murray State University, Illinois Schools Superintendent, and as a Professor and Chair in SIU Carbondale's College of Education and Human Services.