Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Tue December 18, 2012
Dick's Sporting Goods Suspending Modern Rifle Sales
Dick’s Sporting Goods Chain is suspending sales of modern rifles nationwide because of the school shooting in Connecticut. The company also says it's removing all guns from display at its store closest to Newtown, where the massacre took place. A statement posted on Dick's corporate website expresses sympathy for the Sandy Hook Elementary victims' families.
It says sales of modern sporting rifles will be suspended during "this time of national mourning." It's not clear how long the suspension will last. A spokesman for Dick's did not immediately return a call for comment on Tuesday. The Pittsburgh-based corporation has more than 500 stores in 44 states, including at least seven in Kentucky.