The Delta Regional Authority is investing $1.1 million of federal and local funds for nine new projects across western Kentucky.
The money will go toward a renovation of the Trigg County Health Department, a communications tower in Webster County, a simulation learning environment in Madisonville, and general infrastructure maintenance in several other towns.
Judge-Executive Hollis Alexander said he worked with the Pennyrile Area Development District to apply for funding to renovate Trigg County Health Department, which he says is in need of new technology and a new interior. He said officials are ecstatic for the $100,000 DRA investment.
“When our department of local government partners with the Delta Regional Authority and they bring those monies back home to the local community and invest and they actually put the money where their mouth is, that proves to me that our local government and our partnerships and those collaborative efforts, we can succeed and we can make things happen,” Alexander said.
The Department for Local Government collaborated with the DRA to bring funding to the area. Towns that received funding include Barlow, Cadiz, Dixon, Earlington, Madisonville, Mortons Gap, Murray, Trenton, and Uniontown. The projects are funded through the DRA States’ Economic Development Assistance Program, geared toward investing in basic public and transportation infrastructure, workforce and business development, and entrepreneurship projects.
See below for a list of all western Kentucky projects.
Kentucky DRA Projects
· Barlow Wastewater Improvement, Barlow: Improvements to two lift stations, construction of 3,800LF of 8" gravity sewer lines, 1,700 linear feet of force mains, and lateral services. DRA Investment: $200,000.
· Trigg County Health Department Renovation, Cadiz: Demolition of the more than 50 year old equipment and flooring of Trigg County Health Department; installation of new equipment, flooring, cabinets, tables, lighting, paint, and backup generator for vaccine cooler. DRA Investment: $100,000.
· Webster County Tower Project, Dixon: Purchase, construction, and installation of a 180' communications tower for emergency communications capabilities and broadband service. DRA Investment: $125,000; Leveraged Public Investment: $23,097.
· Earlington Water System Improvements, Earlington: Installation of valves in the city of Earlington's water system to facilitate leak detection and repairs. DRA Investment: $30,000.
· Collaborative Care Practices simulation learning environment, Madisonville: Partnership with Madisonville Community College and Baptist Health Madisonville to create a high-fidelity simulation learning environment, creating simulation scenarios using a high-fidelity manikin. DRA Investment: $74,001.
· Mortons Gap System Improvements, Mortons Gap: Placement of new valves and meters to enable the City to isolate sections of the water system to facilitate the location and repair of water leaks. DRA Investment: $35,000.
· Murray Retail Development, Murray: Installation of water, sewer, storm drainage, and entrance road to a private retail development. This project will create 50 new jobs. DRA Investment: $89,003; Leveraged Public Investment: $143,850
· Water and Sewer Lines Extension, Trenton: Extension of existing water and sewer lines to assist in acquisition of canola seed processing plant. DRA Investment: $50,000 (creating 10-15 new jobs).
· Union County Flood Protection System, Uniontown: Improvements to achieve certification compliance for the city's flood protection system, to include access hatches, ladders, steel gates, and pump station pumps and accessories.DRA Investment: $164,001; Leveraged Public Investment: $20,196.