Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Mon August 10, 2009
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear is moving some of his top aides around, as he prepares to enter the second half of his first term. We get details from Kentucky Public Radio's Tony McVeigh.
Larry Hayes of Louisville has been Gov. Beshear's right-hand man ever since Beshear's election in November 2007. When he assumed office, Beshear made Hayes his Executive Cabinet Secretary, the same post Hayes held with former Gov. Martha Layne Collins.
Since last September, Hayes has also been serving as interim Secretary of the state's Economic Development Cabinet and Beshear is now making the appointment permanent.
It's a substantial increase in pay for Hayes, who will be making $250,000 a year. He currently makes around $136,000.
Replacing Hayes as Cabinet Secretary is State Budget Director Mary Lassiter, who will also remain budget director. Lassiter will make around $150,000 a year.
Lassiter has been a state employee for more than 25 years and has served four governors.