Most Active Stories
- Strong Winter Storm Bringing Significant Snow and Ice Accumulations
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Preserving Our Voices 2013
Mon May 6, 2013
DEA Collects 7,100 lbs. Of Drugs At KY Take-Back
The federal Drug Enforcement Administration collected more than 7,100 pounds of unwanted, unused and expired prescription medications in Kentucky during a National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day. During last week's event, agents picked up 50 percent more pills than the previous year. The Commonwealth's numbers have been on the rise since the DEA started the National Drug Initiative in 2010.
Nationally, more than 700,000 pounds of prescription medications were collected from members of the public at close to 6,000 locations staffed by state, local, and tribal law enforcement agencies partnering with DEA.