Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Fri September 6, 2013
Datebook: September 6 - Pennsylvania Railroad Derails 70 Years Ago
The 'Pennsy' was the largest railroad by traffic and revenue in the US for most of the 20th century. At its peak, it was the largest publicly traded company in the world. On this day in 1943, its premier train derailed, killing 79 in the junction. The roof peeled off "like a can of sardines." The cause: a faulty hot box.
It’s Friday, September 6
The Pennyrile Area Cyclists host their annual challenge ride tomorrow morning starting at the Madisonville Community College campus. On-site registration starts at 7, and rides begin at 8 with 10, 22, 41 and 62 mile options available. For more information, visit pennyrileareacyclists.com.
The 4th annual Rotary Scooper Bowl, part of the Ice Cream Festival, is tonight from 6 to 9 in downtown Murray. Non-profit organizations serve their favorite homemade ice cream recipes. A $5 admission ($1 for children) buys a voting ticket, and teams receive prize money based on the number of votes.
Monday’s the registration deadline for the Community Golf Classic, to be held next Friday at the Oaks Country Club. The cost is $300 for a team of four, $75 for a hole sponsorship, or $350 for a team registration and hole sponsorship. For more information, call the United Way at 270-753-0317.