Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Tue September 4, 2012
Datebook: September 4 - Little Rock Nine Blocked 55 Years Ago
On September 4, 1957, Governor Orval Faubus deployed the Arkansas National Guard to support segregationists blocking nine African American students from entering Little Rock Central High School. Three weeks later, President Eisenhower sent our region's own 101st Airborne Division to protect the students and then federalized the Arkansas National Guard.
It’s Tuesday, September 4
The Murray Choral Society holds voice placement auditions for all singers, ages 15 and up, during the month of September. Beginning October 1st, the group rehearses Monday nights from 6 to 7:30 to prepare a holiday concert. For more information or to schedule an audition, call Dr. Amy Aucoin at (270) 809-6459.
The Murray-Calloway County Hospital Epilepsy Support Group meets Thursday at 6 in the Medical Arts Building at MCCH. For more information, contact the West Kentucky Epilepsy Center at (270) 762-1566.
Marshall County Family Week offers a Mutt Strut dog event and adoption drive tonight from 6 to 8 at Mike Miller Park. Pets compete for the title of Best Tail Wag, Best Hair, Best Trick, Dog-Owner-Look-Alike, Fan Favorite, or Best Costume. Other Family Week events include a family outdoors night tomorrow, a library night on Thursday, and a Family Fun Day on Saturday. See details at mcfamilyweek.com.
Find more community events at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.